This page is divided into four sections:
(1) Photos taken prior to the TET '68 attack (there are several more photos at AFVN Photos & Stories / Donat J. "Don" Gouin),
(2) Correspondence and memos related to the establishment of Det 5, Hue, particularly from the Engineering Section's point of view,
(3) Correspondence and memos related to follow-up actions and the investigation into what happened during the attack and to the personnel who were involved,
(4) Photos taken following the over-running of Det 5 by the North Vietnamese.
When he sent them to me, Ron wrote: "These are Army [military] photos punched for inclusion in a 'thrown away' Hue folder from the main station. The punch holes are intact, as are the paper clip rust marks on the photos of the site ."
1. Authorization to Establish an AFVN Detachment in the Da Nang - Hue area dated April 20, 1967.
4. Memorandum from Roger Bower, Project Manager, NBCI, dated August 8, 1967.
5. Memorandum from R. F. Cox dated August 9, 1967.
[Page 1 is missing. The page numbers at the top of each page appear to refer to a different memorandum.
The "Art" at the top is most likely LTC Arthur Jones, USA, OIC.]
6. Weekly Report on Progress in Establishing the Hue Detachment dated August 10, 1967.
7. Weekly Report on Progress in Establishing the Hue Detachment dated August 22, 1967.
8. Trip Report by CPT Duerre, USA dated August 26, 1967.
9. Memorandum from LTC Jones, OIC, AFVN dated September 15, 1967.
[With memos from John Scales and Sam Geise attached.]
10. Weekly Report (on Progress in Establishing the Hue Detachment) dated September 25, 1967.
11. Fact Sheet, Detachment 5, Hue, undated.
[It is difficult to dtermine if the "tragedy" referred to is Cpl Major's injury/death or the fact that the tower
12. TV Schedule, Detachment 5, Hue, undated. This schedule was attached to the above Fact Sheet.
[I'm somewhat bemused by the "For the best..." because I don't think that they had much competition. JimW]
13. Status of Power Generators at Det 5 and Gov't of Vietnam (TV?), Hue dated January 25, 1968.
14. Support Agreement from III Marine Amphibious Forces dated February 1, 1968
[It is somewhat ironic, but this agreement is dated after Detachment 5 had already been attacked during TET.]
1. Memorandum on Det 5, Hue, following the 198 TET Offensive dated February 4, 1968 by SFC Franklin M.
Standford, USA. [SFC Standford was Chief, Transmitter Repair Section and stationed in Cat Lo (Det 8).]
2. Saigon Station Status Brief (Log), dated February 6, 1968, shortly after the TET '68 attacks started.
3. Memorandum to the OIC, AFVN from AFC William S. Duncan, SFC, USA, Da Nang, dated February 9, 1968.
4. Memorandum on a conversation with SSgt Miller dated February 10, 1968.
[Possibly SSgt Raymond A. Miller, USAF.]
5. Memorandum by Maj Frank Schrieble, USAF, Deputy OIC dated February 10, 1968.
6. Letter to Next of Kin (Sample) from the OIC of AFVN
7. Memorandum from MACOI to the OIC, AFVN, dated February 19, 1968 on the Next of Kin Letters .
8. Memorandum or Log titled "AVIS CALLING...." dated February 19/20, 1968.
9. Statement by Sgt Robert G. Neely, USMC, Det 2, Da Nang, on his February 25, 1968 visit to Det 5, Hue.
10. Memorandum for Record (erroneously) dated January 22, 1968, related to a telephone call from a Major
Underwood, Phu Bai, which reports on what SP5 John F. Bagwell, USA related to the Major about the attack
on Detachment 5, Hue. [The correct date is most likely February 22, 1968.]
11. Memorandum for Record by Maj Frank W. Scheible, USAF, Deputy OIC, AFVN.
[The Det 5 OIC was 1stLt James V. DiBernardo, USAF; the Engineer was SFC Donat J. Gouin, USA.]
12. Statement by GySgt Frank H. Almeida, USMC, regarding the recovery of items and relocating Detachment 5.
13. Memorandum by Capt R. W. Johnson, USMC, OIC, Det 2, Da Nang, dated March 4, 1968.
[This memorandum summaries the statements by GySgt Almeida, USMC and Sgt Neely, USMC, above.]
(4) Photos Taken Following the Over-running of Det 5, Hue, by the North Vietnamese.
The "back" or "data side" for each photo is can be seen by clicking on the link below each photo.
(1) Photos taken prior to the TET '68 attack.
Undated photo of the AFVN Hue, Det 5 Villa.
This plus the next two photos were possibly taken about the time the Detachment was completed.
E:\AFVN\Website7_Uploads-Graphics\RonTurner7\Photos L2001319 3csb8-QtrsWithTruck
Undated photo of the AFVN Hue, Det 5 Van.
E:\AFVN\Website7_Uploads-Graphics3 Det5 DaNang Van
Link to Rick Fredericksen's Blog
[Received June 2018]
(3) Correspondence and memos related to follow-up action and the investigation
into what happened during the attack and to the personnel involved.
AFVN Detachment 5, Hue - Background and Photos
Received from Ron Turner
Undated photo of the Hue, Det 5 antenna
(Before the guy wire was hit by a truck and the tower collapsed or after it was rebuilt?)
(2) Correspondence and memos related to the establishment of Hue, Det 5
particularly from the Engineering Section's point of view.